Top Maths Tips for Parents
- Encourage children to think flexibly about numbers.
- Encourage drawing whenever you can (mathematicians draw sketches all the time!).
- When you help your children, do not lead them through step by step, as this takes away important learning opportunities from them. Assist in the area/step where difficulty arises.
- Encourage children to work on problems that are challenging for them, so that they can learn from their mistakes.
- Encourage children to always make sense of Maths. As they work, keep asking them if it makes sense to them.
- Praise children by rewarding effort.
- Always have a positive outlook on Maths.
- Give children Maths puzzles.
- Play games!
Here is a list of some Maths at Home Activities.
Here is a list of ways to incorporate Maths into everyday household tasks.